Friday, July 24, 2009

Spirit Ring


"And then, for Hannakuh, my parents got this pair of really expensive white gold hoops and I had to pretend like I didn't even like them and... it was so sad!" -Gretchen Weiners.

Okay, so not totally related, but the quote popped into my mind, so... whatever that's worth...

Our family has this awesome Christmas tradition-- the 12 days of Christmas. We get a gift and a poem outside our door every day for the 12 days prior to Christmas. It started like 9 years ago when we were flying to Arkansas on Christmas day. My clever parents thought it would be kind to still let Santa do Christmas, so they spread it out over 12 days. It was awesome. And it still is.

So this last Christmas I had to stay up in Logan to work at the elementary school, so my mom and dad packed me up a box of gifts that sat outside my door, and each morning I got to open one!! I just love them... One of my favorite gifts was this amazing turquoise and silver ring that my mother and I deemed my "spirit ring". Ya know. Indians. Turquoise. Spirit. I've received more compliments on that ring than any other accessory I've ever owned, and I like to tell people it was a gift from my parents. It holds a pretty significant amount of sentimental value. Well, I wear that ring almost every single day. I love it. So naturally, I wore it yesterday. dun dun dun.

Off to the beach, I go. Travis, Larry and I are just swimming around, playing like little kids in the waves... Then right as Larry and I go to dive under a wave, he accidentally strips my finger of my Spirit Ring. My most precious has returned back home to the depths of the sea. Back to its mother (Mrs. Nature), on the wildest journey. After my initial fury, I decided to make peace with the fact that my Spirit ring was where it wanted to be. One with the ocean.

I have looked down at my right hand through teary eyes multiple times since I lost my baby. A small piece of my heart disappeared yesterday and will be lost forever...

(A picture of me and my spirit...)
I know what I'm asking for this Christmas....

4 comments:

  1. this makes me feel good. geez. If i knew it meant that much to you i would have looked harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaim I am so sad for you! I have a turquoise ring too and I love it more than anything. Once it broke but luckily I had found another one exactly the same. I hope you someday find another spirit ring! xoxo gg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waahhh! Maybe Christmas will come early this year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to lie...I was OK with you living in Cali with no home, no family, and no job, but now...no Spirit ring??? It's just too much. Let's go shopping. XO. Mom

    ReplyDelete